About our learning community
What kind of community would children and educators create together?
A learning community where:
- Everyone has a voice and is listened to deeply.
- You can be completely yourself.
- Learning interconnects Science, Arts and Humanities through a topic-based approach.
- Children thrive academically through a genuine love of learning.
- Homework is optional.
- Class sizes are small and friendly.
- There are no SATs or assessments until GCSEs
- Progress is measured by a child’s wellbeing and love of learning.
- The natural world is part of the classroom.
- Mindfulness is integrated into the school day, bringing calm, insight and peace.
- The day begins gently with yoga, mindful games and walks in the woods.
- Creativity is central to everything and children are supported to find their own way.
Are we a school?
We’re a learning community. We’re registered with Ofsted as a childcare provider and we get inspected by an officer specialised in alternative settings such as ours. Our most recent inspection was in April 2021.
We opened in Hebden Bridge in September 2016 as an educational community working to create a mindful environment for learning.
We have a three-day, flexi-time community where you can choose to do the number of days you want. We keep learning interesting through yoga and meditation, democratic decision making and cross-subject learning. Small class sizes, never more than 14, enable closer teacher-student relationships.
For us the “classroom” is an exciting learning place which also includes the natural world. The learning environment, combined with the excellence of our teachers, helps our students succeed at whatever path they choose to take including GCSEs. To keep the flame of learning alive both teachers and students need to be constantly challenged.
Soulful creativity is at the centre of all that we do, and we are all learners here. We hope that children will leave our school with a sense of purpose and confidence in themselves as unique human beings ready to break new ground in their path through life.
Have a look around our website and see what we offer. For more information contact us.
Here is a short report about us from the BBC back in 2016.